Why publish with SISP?
- Open access (digital-first on FIGSHARE)
- Peer reviewed
- Published under the Smithsonian brand
- No APCs. SISP pays for all standard production services.
- Full-services publisher (copyediting, design, typesetting, indexing, and printing)
- DOI (digital object identifier), for discoverability and capture of usage statistics
- Academic marketing via Smithsonian Books
- Print format also available (limited quantities)
- Copies mailed to Smithsonian Libraries’ Exchange Program partners (U.S. and international)
What does SISP publish?
SISP is non-profit, open access scholarly publisher that publishes research results of Smithsonian scholars and about Smithsonian collections. Its principal products are open access monographs.
Who is eligible?
See HOW TO SUBMIT.
Are SI scholars required to submit their manuscripts to SISP?
No. SISP is an optional publishing outlet.
Do SI scholars have to obtain approval from SISP to go to another publisher?
SI scholars do not need SISP’s approval to go to another publisher.
Do I have to submit a proposal before I submit my completed manuscript?
No. Submitting a proposal is an optional, early step. When ready for peer review, submit your completed manuscript.
Are SISP publications peer reviewed?
Submissions for consideration as Smithsonian Contributions Series and as Open Monographs are subjected to scholarly peer review. Acceptance for publication requires completion of and positive results from peer review of a complete manuscript by at least two qualified scholars and subsequent positive evaluation of the final revised manuscript by SISP and its Editorial Board.
How long does peer review take?
Time for peer review depends on many factors. Typically, authors should allow three (3) months after submission before they expect review results from SISP.
Is SISP the same as Smithsonian Books?
No. SISP is an internal scholarly publisher with restricted eligibility. Smithsonian Books is a trade book publisher and a division of Smithsonian Enterprises.
Is my manuscript subject to SI’s Public Access Plan?
The plan applies to journal articles and book chapters authored and co-authored by SI scholars. Find out more at the PUBLISHING & PUBLIC ACCESS tab.