How To Submit
How to Submit
Refer to SISP Manuscript Preparation Guide for detailed instructions.
If you are submitting to SISP's open access series, submit required materials (see below) to Open SI when your manuscript is ready!
If you are submitting a scholarly book manuscript, email all required materials (see below) to SISP.
Criteria for Submission
- Text and figure selection complete prior to peer review.
- Authored by at least one eligible scholar.
- Scholarly content based on sound research.
- Related to Smithsonian research and/or collections.
- Material should be original to the author.
- Original (i.e., not previously published)
- For proceedings, sponsored by Smithsonian and includes SI researchers as editors and contributors
Who Is Eligible?
- Current Smithsonian employees
- Former Smithsonian employees with official Emeritus designation
- Designation letter must accompany submission.
- Research Associates and Fellows
- Appointments must be registered/awarded through Office of Fellowships and Internships.
- Letter of endorsement from supervisor of appointment/fellowship must accompany submission.
- Fellow may submit a complete manuscript no more than 5 (five) years after end of fellowship, and manuscript must be a result of the research for which the applicable fellowship was awarded.
- Visiting Scholars/Scientists (former) may submit only as co-author with current SI-employed scholar(s).
- Atoll Research Bulletin - Submitting scholars need not be affiliated with Smithsonian.
Required Materials for a Proposal (optional)
- SISP New Submission Form
- Table of contents (include major headings and estimated page counts for each section/chapter)
- Abstracts (if edited collection) or sample text (prefer preface/introduction + up to 20 pages of first chapter/paper)
- If applicable, letter of endorsement from appointment/fellowship supervisor
Required Materials for a Manuscript
For Peer Review
- Completed SISP New Submission Form (if applicable, update form submitted with proposal)
- Complete text compiled in a single MS Word document (double spaced, 1-inch margins), with all chapters or papers in the order they will appear.
- Tables, numbered and titled, in a separate MS Word file(s).
- Figures compiled as either (1) a single PDF containing all figures in order of appearance in the manuscript or (2) embedded figures in MS Word document immediately after each figure's in-text callout.
- If applicable, letter of endorsement from appointment/fellowship supervisor.
- If applicable, copies of previous peer reviews (i.e., from other publishers).
Post-Peer Review, Revised Manuscript, Post-Peer Review
- Monograph = Text manuscript in a single MS Word document (includes frontmatter, main text, and backmatter).
- Edited collection/Proceedings = Each of the following in a separate MS Word document: frontmatter (title page, table of contents, preface, introduction, etc.); each paper (with references at end).
- Callouts and/or captions in text manuscript where figures should appear.
- Tables, numbered and titled, in separate files.
- Each figure in a separate file in the correct format (see "Digital Art Preparation Guide”).
- Permissions that properly license reproduction rights for figures/images/materials owned by third parties (see Permissions page).
For more information, email SISP.