Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press continues the Institution’s rich history of scholarly publishing, and is dedicated to publishing research and other scholarly and educational contributions authored by Smithsonian curators and researchers, including monographs, collection catalogs, exhibition catalogs, technical studies and analyses, and edited collections and proceedings.
Smithsonian Contributions Series
The current series are open access. All new and recent volumes are available at Open SI, SISP's digital publishing portal. Archive volumes are available from the Smithsonian’s repository. Print copies are available free of charge upon request while supplies last. Quantities are limited.
- Smithsonian Contributions to Anthropology - Studies on human biological and cultural diversity and history
- Smithsonian Contributions to Botany - Studies on the biology, diversity, and evolution of plants
- Smithsonian Contributions to History and Technology - Studies in the social sciences and humanities, and technical studies of Smithsonian and related objects
- Smithsonian Contributions to the Marine Sciences - Studies on all aspects of the world’s oceans, their geological history, and biological diversity as well as human interactions with the oceans
- Smithsonian Contributions to Museum Conservation - Studies in museum conservation, including treatments, case and technical studies; conservation science, including analytical chemistry, material science, engineering and biochemistry; collection management; and preservation.
- Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology - Studies on the fossil record documenting the diversification of life through time and the geological context of evolution
- Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology - Studies on the biology, diversity, and evolution of animals
Proposed works that fall outside of the scope of the discipline-specific Smithsonian Contributions Series and are deemed marketable to a wider audience are considered for publication as scholarly books. New scholarly books published by SISP are published as "Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge."
See the Books tab for currently available books. SISP’s recent scholarly books are available through Penguin Random House, Inc. Titles co-published with academic publisher Rowman & Littlefield are distributed by R&L.